An Interview with Feigr of Hithaeglir

 As part of branching out in the content department of this tomb of rambles, I almost instinctively wanted to do interviews. It's something that I've enjoyed since I took it up earlier this year. However, that was with an independent wrestler. This is for music.

One of the first people that came to mind to interview was Feigr of Hithaeglir, who has became a comrade of mine. There was also another band that I thought of, and that interview will be coming shortly (I'll be finishing that up tonight hopefully).

So sit back and enjoy the interview.


Feigr Principal Saludos. ¿Cómo fue el viaje hasta aquí a las tumbas de Metal Archives?

Buenas! I'm fine, thanks.

Well first of all, every story has a beginning. How did you discover Heavy Metal, and what was it that brought you to become a fan?

My father has always been a fan of 'classic' metal/hard rock bands like AC/DC, Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden, but I didn't get into metal until I was 13 or so. I had been playing Irish folk music for a year and busked around town with a friend. One day, he gave me some folk metal albums he got from his cousin and I just fell in love with it. From then on, I started reading more about metal and getting vinyls and CDs, and getting into other genres, like death, progressive and eventually black metal.

Once becoming a metal head, and falling in love with the genre, how did you about learning about the sub genres, and learning about the bands and musicians themselves?

I just started reading articles on the internet, but mostly interviews with bands. Checking out new bands constantly also led me to many different bands and genres which I now listen to often, and expanded my metal knowledge.

What was your childhood like? Was it one of those cases of "shitty childhood so kid turns to Metal and dark things?"

My childhood was actually good. My family never had any extreme difficult situations in any way, and life at home was nice. However, at school I didn't have such a good time, as I didn't have that many friends and was always interested in things for peope older than me (I have always hanged out with people at least 5 years older than me). I never really fitted in there.

Do you listen to music outside of the genre of Heavy Metal? If so, what are some of your favorite genres and bands?

If by Heavy Metal you mean metal in all its subgenres, I do listen to other non-metal music, mostly ambient and folk, but also some 1980s rock, some punk...

Living in Spain, was it difficult to get a hold of physical copies of albums that weren't of the more common music one would find in Spain?

Yeah, there were some stores (most of them now closed) in my area where I could get metal vinyls, although it took some time 'til they arrived. Nowadays I get most of my material from online distributors, both national and international.

Many artists, especially within Metal have always spoken about how the atmosphere of their hometown/country is? How would you describe Spain in those elements?

Well, I have never really liked Spain. I'd say mostly because of its traditions (bullfighting, flamenco...) and its history (Catholic supremacy), but it's ok. I'd prefer a place where it was colder and a bit more rainy as well, it'd be more inspiring.

Are there any other big Heavy Metal fans in Spain?

Yeah, there is a good metal scene here in Spain, mostly in big cities like Barcelona, but also in smaller cities like here in Alicante. I have seen fans of black, death, power, doom... Lots of metal bars and pubs. Not so many concerts or festivals, though...

Obviously being a Black Metal band, that one would assume is the happy place for you in Metal. How exactly did you come across it, as it's quite hidden to most people unless they dig.

One day I read an article where they mentioned black metal, Bathory, Burzum, Mayhem, etc. and I decided to see what that was. I got some early black metal albums as well as some black thrash from a record store, and I was shocked by its raw, low-fi production and the darkness of the music, and I instantly thought 'Now, that's what I've been looking for, raw, dark, cold and fast'.

Was there any band in the BM cult that you instantly fell in love with?

Bathory, Darkthrone and Burzum. Those were the first 3 bands I checked, and I just loved their sound, although I am more of a fan of Bathory's viking albums than the early black albums.

From discovering Metal, and to becoming a fan of Black Metal, how did you come to the idea of forming a band, a one man band at that?

Since I started playing music at the age of 12 more or less, I liked the idea of playing and sharing music with other people. As I said, I started playing in a folk music duo, and after that a folk metal project followed in which I played mandola, low whistle and Swedish bagpipes. We wrote material for a full-length, but it was never recorded and no pictures or footage of the band exists, sadly. After the band broke up, I decided to explore the one-man band experience myself, concentrating more on playing and writing black metal.

How did you come up with the name Hithaeglir?

When I was 8 years old I read Tolkien's The Hobbit, and it has since then been one of my favorite books. I really liked the part when the dwarves are captured by the goblins in the Misty Mountains, so the name Hithaeglir, which is Sindarin for the Misty Mountains, seemed appropriate.

Did you already know how to play guitar, bass, and drums before your began your band, or were they (or just one or two) something you had to get lessons for?

I picked up the guitar years ago, when I was 12, and bass followed soon after. In the EP I used a drum machine, but since it was released I have been learning to play the drums and it's going pretty well, so maybe for the next release I'll be able to play them myself. Except for the drums, I am self-taught with every instrument I play.

Why the one man route? Could you not find any members, or did you just decide to do it all on your own so that you wouldn't have headaches?

After playing in some folk music projects and the folk metal band, I didn't like the way it was to write music with other people, as it limited my creativity and I limited the other members', so I decided to give a try to the one-man thing, and it worked out better than I expected. Also, I have always preferred to work alone.

Are there any bands or musical acts/personalities that influenced the sound of your music?

Mostly early black metal bands, like Darkthrone and Burzum, but also many DSBM and 'folky' black metal bands, like Wigrid, Happy Days, ColdWorld, Lifelover, Kampfar, Isengard, Falkenbach... Fenriz, Grim, Varg Vikernes and Hoest (from Taake) have been some of the biggest personalities that have influenced my lyrics and music.

Did you talk to any local bands to get advice and tips?

No, I didn't. I have met some bands from the local scene, but never really needed to ask for any advice.

Black Metal has always had this bad reputation to it due to the acts of a few musicians under its guild, as well as for having an anti christian pro Satan message. Do you incorporate any Satanic imagery into your work, or anything that is against religion as a whole? If not, why?

No, I don't incorporate any Satanic imagery as I really think the whole Satan thing is absurd (I like some Satanic bands though, Gorgoroth and Beherit to name a couple). I am very anti-religious though, feeling special hatred towards the 3 main monotheistic religions. Maybe some lyrics reflect this, as it's a topic that sort of frustrates me, especially considering the Catholic supremacy and control that we had in Spain (and still have).

In the promo shot on your band page and in the booklet for Tidvatten av Svart Sorg you appear to be pretty young? Mind indulging to us how old you are Senior?

Yeah, you could say I'm pretty young, although I would prefer not to tell about my age.

How long was it till you decided to record a Demo and EP?

I decided I wanted to record it a couple of months after I formed Hithaeglir, in March 2012 or so, as I had produced a lot of material I thought was worth releasing.

What was it like trying to find a studio to record in?

It was easy, as the studio I used (Ranking Youth Studio) is a friend's homestudio. I just talked to my friend and he agreed to let me use the studio, as well as helping with the mixing and recording of the EP, as I didn't know much about that (and still don't). I am now starting to form my own homestudio, so maybe the next release would be recorded with my analog tape studio.

Any family and partner/s that supported you through recording and before it?

My family didn't really support the metal project, but they didn't oppose it either as they don't really care much about the music. My father likes some metal as well, but not black metal.
I have no partner at the moment.

How much was the cost of recording, mixing, and the overall making of the album?

Luckily, the studio and the recording were free, as my friend said he didn't want any money. I just spent some money in blank CDs, CD cases and printing the booklet, although the quality turned out pretty bad...

The album itself has a very gothic and depressive feel to it. Was this the goal you had in my when/while you wrote the songs for it, and any other song?

Yes, I wanted to have a depressive touch, as I listen to a lot of DSBM, dark ambient and other forms of 'depressive music' and take inspiration from them. Some songs, like 'Blaze, Grow Arise' or 'Embracing Chaos' weren't supposed to be depressive, but rather chaotic.

What was the process of the recording like?

Easier and shorter than I expected. It took only 9 days to record and mix the album, of which 4 were recording instruments and vocals. Also, the friend that helped me with the whole process made things a lot easier, if it had been just myself it would have taken at least a month.

When everything was done and said, what were your thoughts on the finished mix, and on the situation as a whole?

I liked the whole product in the end, although, as some people told me when they first listened to it, I could have worked more in the mixing of some parts, as the vocals get too loud in some parts, or you can't hear the bass properly. But the whole thing sounded good enough to me to publish it.

How did you come up with the photo for the cover? Did you take the picture yourself? Or was it just a random find on Google Image or an image sharing site?

I can't remember whether some friend took it and gave it to me, or I found it somewhere on the internet... But I don't think that's important, the thing is that it's a really nice picture which I think suits the album well.

You're currently distributing the EP through download, as well as through sell on Facebook? Are there any plans to sign to a label, or just sell out the album for distribution?

The EP isn't actually being sold, as I am giving the CDs for free to whoever wants it. For the moment, I’ll keep releasing the albums independently, but if some label shows interest, they can contact me to talk about signing.

Will you continue to keep the EP on a download and CD basis only? Or do you have any plans to possibly release it as a cassette and/or a vinyl?

I plan to keep it as it is, although the first EP is available for download from Catalonian label Mortem Est Propositum/Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges (http://www.iaesl.tk) as well. For the next release, I am talking with a Hungarian label to release a limited tape edition, although this hasn't been confirmed yet. I would love that to happen, though. Also, I am talking to fellow Canadian one-man band Warground (http://www.facebook.com/WargroundBand) about making a split EP, and maybe releasing a very limited 7" vinyl edition, we'll see how this goes. I am a big vinyl fan, so if Hithaeglir (and my budget) gets bigger, I'll release vinyl editions as well.

Has your album been reviewed by a variety of people/sites?

I have gotten comments from individuals, and only this blog's review, although I am aware that a couple of reviews and maybe another interview are on the way.

When you received the first review/s for Tidvatten av Svart Sorg, how did you react to them?

I was happy because it was mostly positive. And it came quite soon, I expected it to take more time until I got my first review or comments.

Well from my personal thoughts, the album is great, and one of the best to be released in the underground and independent scene in this year. Has anybody else expressed this opinion to you, and do you feel it yourself?

Most comments have been positive or constructive criticism, so I am thankful for that. I feel that the EP was good, but some things could be improved for the next release. Also, I was quite surprised by the amount of people that showed interest in Hithaeglir in such a short time.

The last time you and I spoke before I published my review, you mentioned that you were relocating to Sweden? What made you desire to go out that way?

Yes, hopefully I would be relocating in about a year, maybe year and a half, but it takes a lot of planning so I am working on it already. I have always admired the Nordic countries, their mythology, the metal scene they have, their forests and lakes... I really like Scandinavian languages as well (as you can see from the lyrics, I am fluent with Swedish, and would love to learn Norwegian and maybe even Icelandic).

Do you think the change in environment could possibly affect how the music, writing, and production of any future releases?

Yes, I think there would be some changes in the way I write my music, but let's hope it's for the better.

With Tidvatten av Svart Sorg now out, what are your musical plans and goals heading on now?

Right now I am working on a second EP, and soon I'll start working on the split EP with Warground. Hopefully they will both be released next summer.

So it is possible that we could see a studio album come out from Hithaeglir?

Sure, why not? Although I personally prefer to record short albums/EPs (mostly influence from Bathory's debut album, I guess), there might be a full-length released some time. Just stayed tune for any upcoming news.

Well myself and all of the dark creatures who read this Blog appreciate you sitting in front of a computer and have a chat with this one.
Any final words?


Yes, thanks for your interest and the interview, and thanks to the readers as well. Hails!


Tidvatten av Svart Sorg is out now and being distributed on CD via Facebook and digital download through Catalonian label Mortem Est Propositum/Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges. If interested in talking with, or setting up an interview with Feigr, contact him on the forum section of Metal Archives, or through the band's Facebook page.

Until next time dear creatures, Bo metall og død til nazistenes punkere.

Comments