An Interview with PsychoBliss



Well, here's the second interview. And it's with a band that next to Hithaeglir, has probably been the one I've the most ocntact and interaction with: PsychoBliss.

So yeah, let's get on to it suckas!

I suppose the first question would be, how did the fascination and fandom of Heavy Metal and Hard rock in general came about for the both of you?

Dan: I think for me, it was when I was about 13 or 14 when I saw my first real metal concert. My dad and one of his friends had a bunch of tickets for an Iron Maiden/Dio/Motorhead show. Before that, I wasn't really into metal too much, but after seeing the theatrics of Dio and Iron Maiden in particular, and the power of all the bands, I was pretty hooked.

Those are things I think I admire about heavy metal in general.

Kyla: I've always grown up around rock music, my mom always had it on the radio. I just went heavier and heavier after that, I started with Otep pretty young then fell in love with gothic metal through Lacuna Coil, who remains my favorite band to this day.

So both of you could easily say that music has consumed your lives since adolescence?

Dan: Sure, I think that music has consumed my life in a way that it's become a very integral part of me. I think that I felt listening to music just wasn't enough for me, and that I wanted to experience music from the other side. I wanted to create that feeling of power, sadness, mystery, etc.

Kyla: Absolutely, music is always there ever since your first crush and carries you through high school break ups. (Laughs) It becomes a part of you. I always wanted to be a singer, ever since I could remember.

 Was there anybody when the two of you were kids or teenagers that was also a metalhead or had general knowledge of the genre?

Kyla: My cousin Samantha is the one who got me into Otep, other than that there were a few friends I had that were nuts about Cradle of Filth I think.

Dan: At first, I didn't really have anyone to progress my interest in metal. My dad got me into it mostly, but it wasn't until after high school that I got into more modern and heavier forms of metal.
Back then, I was starting a thrash influenced death metal band called Moribound with an older guitarist. He got me into bands like Amorphis and Thorns.



So at that time, you obviously had a love of this music, and both of you wanted to perform as well as become a part of guild of bands.
When did you all start lessons for music whether it be singing or playing an instrument?

Dan: Actually, I've never had any professional guitar lessons. I'm totally self-taught with the exception of a good friend of mine that helped get me into playing.
I think most of my lessons came in the form of playing music with lots of guitarists that played various styles of music.

Kyla: We all know how expensive singing lessons are, so I decided to join choir throughout most of high school. There's good and bad results from it, the good being I know how to sing the right way and control my voice, the bad being not knowing how to project that well and having that "choir voice". I still try to get over that tone. I never was as involved as Dan was, simply because I thought as a woman there was no place for me in this scene, or that it would be extremely difficult to get into. I had a bass guitar when I was 14 but barely ever touched it (laughs).

As a former choir member, I understand the cons of it *chuckle*. 
(For Kyla) You mentioned Lacuna Coil earlier. Were there any other female vocalists that you were inspired by, or like?

Kyla: (laughs) Yes, though I am a little embarrassed to admit it now, I practically worshiped Amy Lee in middle school. I would try to emulate her as best I could. I also loved Angela Gossow but thought I wouldn't be able to scream ever. After singing along to "We Will Rise" for so many times in my car in high school I finally got a taste of how to scream. It was difficult to do without singing that song, however.

No need to be ashamed of it *laughs*.
What was the first band that you guys had, whether they be one man or not?

Kyla: This is actually my first serious music project. And here's Dan! (laughs) He's got much more of an answer for you.

Dan: As far as serious bands go, I've been in a couple. The first, was a non-metal band that I played bass in, and between that band and now, I was in the Chicago black metal group Empyreus for a short time as the rhythm guitarist.

(For Dan) Was the joining of a Black Metal band due to that enjoyment of Thorns (and possibly other BM bands)? Or was it just a random thing?

Well, it came about in a funny/unfortunate way I suppose. The guitarist I was talking about before, in Moribound, had some life issues and ended up moving away. Since he moved away that essentially ended Moribound.

Oddly enough, his cousin is the lead guitarist in Empyreus. I found out that they needed to fill the rhythm guitarist position, so I tried out and I was in.

My interest in Thorns definitely did help push me into playing black metal, but once I got in Empyreus, I was totally submerged in the "black metal culture" and the countless other great black metal bands out there. It was actually quite refreshing.
 Obviously you two both are in to the more gothic and doomier side of the Black Metal coin. What made you both enjoy that sound/lyrical material/write it more then the violent and Satanic side of things?

Dan: I think it's mostly a musical aesthetic for me. I've always perceived black metal as having a raw, aggressive sound. And that's great! It's very unique in that aspect, but I believe that it often times is too "unpolished" and doesn't "breathe" as much as it could/should.

My goal is to make black metal with that familiar intensity, but also with emotions that make you feel more attached to the music--letting the music tell it's own story.

I guess that in doing that, it came out as doomy and gothic in nature.

Kyla: Although I love most types of metal, I agree with Dan. I think we were inspired by Amesouers and Draconian because it showed me that gothic/doom metal has so many sides to it. It's rough and evil but can be meaningful and beautiful. I also think it works best with my vocals to really show the variety we have in our vocals.
  
That makes pretty good sense, especially for singing.
How did you two meet?

(Both laugh) Kyla: Dan and I met in high school.
Kyla: We've actually been romantically involved with each other for almost seven years now.

 Awww.

(For Dan) At what point did you decide to leave Empyreus and start PsychoBliss?

Well, PsychoBliss actually was in existence already, but we never really had an official release. At the time I quit Empyreus, it wasn't even to continue my music under the PsychoBliss name...driving 2 hours (one way) to practice was just too much. (laughs)

Plus I imagine it wasn't the most cost effective route as an independent artist (chuckle)
Was PsychoBliss always a two man job, or were there more members at one point?


No, PsychoBliss started out as a one-man project back in the end of 2008. It was more death metal oriented. We had a demo we made some copies of, but I didn't do much to support the release in the way of reviews or radio play.
About 6 months after I quit Empyreus I got back into the idea of writing music again, and eventually decided that I really wanted to have Kyla be a part of PsychoBliss.

 Was the original choice of having the band be made of one man due to feelings of being constricted creatively in past projects?

No, not really... I could have gone on by myself, doing all the vocals, but I felt that Kyla would add a new layer to the music that I didn't have before. As far as the actual songwriting process goes though, I've always written the music and lyrics by myself.
I feel like I'm more efficient when writing by myself. I can write with other people, but it tends to take a much longer time to do. (laughs)

 (For Kyla) You said earlier that this was your first real/serious experience with a band. What was the feeling like when Dan asked you to join up with PB?

Kyla: I was ecstatic! I was like, "Really?" haha. I never wanted to invade in his project because I wanted him to have the vision he wanted for it. But when he asked me to join and told me he really thought it was a good idea, I felt so honored.

Obviously you have a more operatic style of singing then most vocalists use in the genre. Was that the path that was agreed upon you joining, or was there any "Could you try doing the screaming and shrieking?"

Kyla: I've always wanted to scream, so that was an unspoken mutual feeling. As for my singing, we've done so much to try to learn about it and work with it. Because personally it's not where I'd want it to be. I do feel too operatic and girly, and it's really confusing when you listen to your recording right after you sing because it sounds different. I sound deeper to me and I like it, so I've been trying to learn what sounds good for me to do and what is realistic for me to try to do since I can't change everything about it.

When you recorded the demo back in 2008, was there any mindset you went into the recording and writing process of it?

Dan: I wanted to the music to give the listener the thought, "wow--this is different! But somehow familiar..." That mindset was very apparent I think on the demo I did, but that mindset is still present on the current material. I want to offer something different, but in a way that people aren't repelled because it's so weird or different.

The writing process was very quick. I wrote, recorded, mixed and released 5 songs in about 3 months.

So you never wore a stage outfit or paint to get in the element (laughs)?

(laughs) No, nothing to that extent, but I've always felt that's it very useful to be absolutely comfortable when recording. Sometime I'll turn off the lights and light a candle or two--just enough to create a relaxing mood.

Incense helps, too sometimes. It gets the creative juices flowing... (laughs)

Things were more "secretive" at the beginning, too. I had an alias and didn't reveal my face any what not... I ditched the whole idea though, because I think it's a little juvenile.

(chuckles) When did you both start the process of making the EP which would become Dreams of Dystopia?

Dreams of Dystopia has been a little bit of a roller coaster for me. I actually wrote the first two songs while we still lived in Wisconsin, and actually had the participation of the current bassist in Empyreus. More was written in Indiana, and the rest was finally finished in Arizona, where we are now.
We wrote about 9 songs total, and decided to use the best 5 songs for the EP. The whole process from beginning to end was probably a little over a year

How did it go trying to find a studio to record it in?

That's the easy part! Everything we've recorded is done on our own equipment. I do the best I can with what's available...

Now that's being prepared.

Oh yea. (laughs) We have everything crammed into a walk-in closet. It actually provides nice acoustics for vocals...

(laughs) I'm sure it's very easy to move around in there.

Kyla: Especially with our husky under the desk sometimes (laughs)

(For Kyla) Obviously Dan has had the most experience in recording and being in a studio. Even though it was done at home, how did you feel when being in the closet booth?
And what were your thoughts when you got the chance to lay down the vocals for the EP?

Kyla: It's very intimidating for me to record with Dan. He's always played guitar and bass guitar and recorded vocals, I definitely felt like a newbie! But at the same time it was very fun. I was nervous when I first started laying down the vocals but I also was having fun playing with it. I'd record and then be so eager to hear myself. All in all it's been a really enriching and learning experience.

Once everything was said and done as far as making the album goes, what did you do to start promoting it and getting it out there?

Dan: Well, it's an ongoing process in itself, but beforehand, I compiled a huge list of contacts to help get the EP some reviews and news coverage.

I also have the whole EP streaming for free on SoundCloud, Reverbnation, and Youtube. One thing I've learned is that you really have to be creative in finding new ways to get the word out about your music. It's like diving into an ocean filled with sharks, ready to rip you apart. (laughs)

But we can take it... In fact, we encourage it!

That's a pretty good attitude!
From the news I've seen you all post on the (MA) forums, you're still looking for physical distributors. How has that been going?

Finding distribution has been going pretty well, actually. Tridroid Records found us pretty early on and was interested in releasing our EP on cassette. I was unaware that people still buy cassettes, but apparently it's a big thing in the metal underground!

We're still looking for a release on vinyl and CD, but it's not mandatory. Our main concern is making the release widely available, and that will be done by making it available on Amazon, iTunes, etc...

Of course. Cassettes are the shit!
Are there any plans to sing a full on contract with a label?

It all depends on what the label has to offer, I suppose. We'll just have to wait and see...

Have you played any live shows since forming the band?

No, not yet, but it's definitely been talked about. We both think playing shows is an important step we need to take.

Are there bands currently active either near your guy's area, or anywhere else that you'd like to associate yourselves with? Such as performing with, or just being linked to?

Yea, we've actually been in contact with a technical black metal band around here called Singularity. There's a good chance we'll be playing alongside them on our first show.

Well that sounds very good.
With Dreams of Dystopia now out, what are the plans moving forward?

I guess the current goal is to spread the word, get people talking about Dreams of Dystopia, and just keep going from there. We've already been conceptualizing what our new material will sound like...

Hopefully we can piece a live band together within the next few months and be playing shows by summer/fall 2013.

Well thank you both for taking the time to talk to this one. Do the two of you have any final words?

Thank you for interviewing us, and we hope anyone reading this will take the time to support us by purchasing a copy of our EP on the last day of our existence on Earth! (12/21/12)

Thanks to both Dan and Kyla for taking the time to talk to me and for the Blog. PsychoBliss's EP Dreams of Dystopia is out now as a stream and is coming soon as a digital download/MP3.

Comments