Radio Killed the Video Star Part I: Katy Perry

This is a pretty bold statement to make, especially in a time where youtube is so relevant.  But for someone like me, who works a nine to five job and is forced to listen to radio today, it seems pretty imperative that the radio actually is the killer today.  We hear it in almost every public place that doesn't have internet radio (and even then you still can) or doesn't only play old people music.

There are obvious reasons why this deeply bothers someone like me, someone who prefers metal and such, but there are other slightly more obscure reasons.

It's the majority of the population's unfailing ability to jump on the bandwagon that deeply disturbs me.  This wouldn't bother me so much if the music in the first place wasn't so amazingly unbearable, and I like to think I'm not as unfair as most people would jump to say; there are a handful of songs that I can tolerate.  Even Adele isn't so bad because at least she has real talent, but they overplay her, which is actually the second reason the radio is so untolerable.  So here you have this horrible, processed music and it's on repeat.  Those of us doomed to listen to the pop stations at work are forced to hear this crap over and over at least once a day.  I can't even listen to my own music that much.

What really drove me to write this new post was all because of Katy Perry's new single, "Roar".  I never much cared for Katy Perry, but the "Wide Awake" song is...well, on a scale of 1 to 10, a 5 to me.  The chorus gets me (as I've told my husband, I'm a girl, sometimes I like dumb shit haha).  Though I despise her image, that whole candy pop thing, how she's Christian but sings about kissing girls and messing around with a dude while she's supposed to be this role model for little girls.

And then one day, my husband showed me this link: http://www.metalinjection.net/av/song-day-power-metal-remix-katie-perrys-kissed-girl.  It shows the song "I Kissed a Girl" but with a power metal backround to fit the song.  And though I don't particularly care for power metal, it's a great improvement to this comparably dull song.  Let's make that a side reason too for my hatred of pop, the "music" is so simple anyone could make it, it's not worthy of being art that music should be treated like.  So anyway, with "Wide Awake" and this awesome power metal version (though I knew nothing like that would ever come of her) I had a small amount of dormant unknown faith in her that I didn't know existed until about two weeks ago.

Two weeks ago, I watched two of her brief trailers leading to her third upcoming album.  They were darkish, and suggested she was done with her childish candy phase.  A hint of goth even hit me, I mean blackish lipstick and lighting things on fire?  That faith I never knew existed emerged.  And then I heard "Roar" a few days later.  Right now I'm staring pointedly at all of you, because if you've heard it I don't need to say more.  But if you have somehow still managed to spare your ears, I will explain it to you; it is the exact same bullshit.

The only reason I knew about the trailers was because I had friends who were excited about this new upcoming change and posted the trailers on facebook.  And now that it's out, one of them told me it sounds just like that Sara B song "Brave", which I heard at work too.  She was not impressed, and she was right!  And there was yet another friend of mine who gave it a "blah" review and called it the same chorus crap.

Final thoughts right now are why business owners would want to professionally put this crap up in their business.  Why would they want to bore people further, when that's all they hear anyway?  Or are most people that one-dimensional that hearing Lady Gaga and Pink everyday makes them happy?  I had someone laugh at me once for suggesting putting on classical music instead (my first choice would be alt rock, which I think is friendly enough that every business should play) but I find it laughable that they think people singing about fucking and drugs and ignorant shit is a good idea.

Part II to come, I'm just getting started.

Comments

Post a Comment