Interview With Jay Rinella of Bloodwave DVD

Welcome to another edition of "POEPOW INTERVIEWS!"

With that wacky intro out of the way, let's get to the details. Recently, I started buying from a site called Bloodwave DVD, a site dedicated to selling obscure/hard to find horror films of a variety of genres. After posting a photo of my order on the store's Facebook page, the owner added me to a group for fans of CAT III films, and we've become acquaintances.

So I figured, hey, why not use this new fond comrade for an interview? That I did. So I present this, my interview with Bloodwave's owner and mastermind Jay Rinella!

How did you originally get into horror films, and the obscure ones as a whole?
I started liking horror when I was about 8 years old when I saw The Last Man On Earth on late night TV. As for the obscure ones, they weren't that obscure back in the 80's. Most were available in local video stores and have only become obscure lately.

Besides horror, what type of films do you like to watch?

I enjoy sci/fi, war movies, action movies and comedies.

When did you get into the whole world of underground tape trading?

I started ordering underground and foreign films on bootleg vhs tapes back in the 90's from ads in the back of Fangoria.

What was the first obscure film you ever got?

The first obscure bootlegs I ever got were Alien 2: On Earth and The Last Shark. A couple of Italian horror films unavailable in the US at the time.

Out of the many sub genres within the realm of horror, what would you say is your favorite?

Slashers and Nature Run Amok films are my favorite sub genre. I think I own 95% of 80's slashers ever made.

The store caters to quite a few different types of horror, with two sections devoted to the Giallo films of Italy, and the many Asian films. Which one do you prefer more; Giallo, or Asian?

That's a tough decision. A great giallo is very hard to beat, but there are some unbelievable Asian horror films, so I would have to go with Asian

When exactly did you decide to open up your own store to sell these types of rare, obscure horror films?

I started back in '95 as Blood On The Beach video selling VHS tapes and then Asian VCDs

Was it hard to do so?

It actually wasn't difficult, I just started small and it kind of grew on its own.

How exactly did you come up with the name Bloodwave?

I started as Blood On The Beach, (I lived a few blocks from the ocean) and I had my Asian business separately under the name Tsunami VCD, and they kind of morphed together into Bloodwave DVD.

It may not be any of mine, or my reader’s business, but how much does it cost per year to run the site, and produce the DVDs?
I'm not sure how much it actually costs. There are hosting fees and supplies, I never got around to adding it all up.

When you first started, how did you get your inventory?

My inventory comes mostly from tapes I collected back in the 80's and 90's and DVDs I've been collecting ever since.

Being one of the few actually stores on the internet that specifically cater to these types of movies, do you ever feel like branching off from Bloodwave, and trying to make another site for other types of movies?

I only collect horror films. I've though about branching out into other rare genres, but that would take a lot of time and money building a library of rare films from other genres that I'm not really an expert in.

What are your thoughts on some of the other sites around like ZDDVM and Twisted Anger?
I've never really used the other sites, so I don't really have an opinion on them.

What movie sold on Bloodwave has gotten bought the most, regardless of what category it’s in?
Savage Harvest is probably my best seller

With the ever increasing popularity of downloading films and torrenting, do you feel as if selling physical copies of films such as these is becoming harder to do?

It has been getting harder with torrents and Youtube, but for a lot of collectors there's nothing like having the physical item in your collection.

Is there any movie you don’t sell that you wish you could?

I'm always looking for new films, but there is no particular film that I've been looking for for years that I couldn't find. For awhile that was Psycho Pike, but I finally found a copy.

What movie gives you that “Why the fuck did I watch this?” type of feeling the most?

There's too many to list, but Ax 'Em comes to mind.

While Bloodwave mostly caters to already known films, would you ever try to produce films that ever people make?

I've thought about it, but with my regular job and the website, I wouldn't have the time.

What’s next for Bloodwave?

Next, I have a few things planned for the future, one of which is a line of horror hot sauces that hope to launch in the summer.

Favorite movie of all time?

Aliens, The Thing, Dawn Of The Dead, My Bloody Valentine and Battle Royale are my all time favorites.

Well, there you go my friends. You heard it from the man himself. If the interview has made you interested in checking out the store and buying from Jay, then follow the link below. Trust me my creatures, the site is damn awesome. I highly recommend it, and it gets the Poe Seal of Approval. Well, until next time, stay demented you creatures of the night.

http://bloodwavedvd.webs.com/apps/webstore/

Comments

  1. This is really cool. Jay is actually my dad, and I looked up Bloodwave DVD and this was one of the things that I found. I also learned some things I didn’t know before, such as the fact that his store was originally called Blood On The Beach.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment