Quikies - Kingsman: The Secret Service

While waiting for my last review of this hate filled month, why don't I fluff things up a bit and talk about something I REALLY like? In this case, a new series of reviews I'll be doing here ore there: Quickies. I'll just be hip firing some first impressions on newly released movies on occasion and just advise if the movie is well worth the watch. Our first victim for this new tragedy: Kingsman: The Secret Service



Directed By: Matthew Vaughn (X-Men: First Class)

Rated: R

Starring: Colin Firth, Taron Egerton, Samuel L. Jackson 

Plot: The Kingsman are a secret spy group independent from any nation or other loyalty beyond the greater good of humanity who dress fine as hell. The movie follows son of a former Kingsman, Gary "Eggsy" Unwin (Taron Egerton), being trained among other candidates to become the newest Kingsman to replace the now deceased "Lancelot" while under the tutelage of Harry "Galahad" Hart (Colin Firth). All the while, sinister villain Valentine (Samuel L. Jackson) is plotting something horrific and its up to the Kingsman to stop him and his leg-deadly amputee assistant Gazelle (Sofia Boutella).


I will honestly call this movie something akin to a modern day James Bond. And no, I don't mean a James Bond that takes place in modern times, I mean this is if they rebuilt everything that is James Bond (or to be more specific: the spy movie genre) from the ground up. It's a fantastic call-back to the spy movies of old with some self-referential humor about the genre to itself and others. Like any spy movie there are gadgets galore and over-the-top schemes abound in every scene. Its not all that often I find a movie that not only makes me laugh, but keeps me gripped in its drama, has a fully engaging story, and catches my artistic eye. Such jewels are to be cherished as such. The comedy certainly stands out with its quick-witted remarks, hammy line deliveries, and the constant surprise of what the actors will say or do. While I've heard Michael Caine say "Oh, shit" before (ala Jaws 4), I never in my life expected the F-Bomb out of him. Good on ya, mate.

The story is strangely straight forward and yet a little unpredictable. A rare combination that hardly ever happens without some major flaw in it. You'd think we'd get the whole "new recruit in the secret agency" plot line figured out down to a T, but you'd be surprised at the amount of twists Eggsy's journey goes through and keeps you in your seat with shock.

The action scenes are among the best I've ever seen in any movie as of late; mainly due to the cinematography. It uses shakey cam during some of the fights, but it uses shaky cam RIGHT. You never lose focus; you keep perfect focus on every little detail in the fight scenes. It helps when there's an entire scene of mass murder all to the tune of Freebird.

Every actor is giving an amazing performance in this movie. Colin Firth is having absolute fun being this utterly perfect gentleman while kicking tons of ass frame by frame. Even though I've never heard of Taron Egerton, he gave a good portrayal of a man with a chip on his shoulder training to prove himself and do something right. Samuel L. Jackson is having the time of his life playing this coward of a man who can't stand the sight of blood even though he orders the death of so many throughout the film. I found the lisp his character had to be amusing, if only because its Samuel L. Jackson who makes it fun as hell.

Bottom line: this movie was just amazing. The acting was superb, the action scenes were well shot and performed, the story was amusingly over-the-top, and just a lot of fun. I would highly recommend everyone (given you're appropriately aged for an R-rated movie) to see this movie rather than Fifty Shades of Shit. Check it out today, tomorrow, or even just catch the Blu-Ray/DVD release later on, just see this movie,

Well, with that out of the way, I'll get back to work on our last hate filled review for the month. I've built myself up with the perfect amount of joy only to have it smashed into little bits and pieces later on. Oh, its so good to have that overwhelming sense of blood-lust and rage come over you; its all tingly, but so worth the broken shins.


Comments